|Patient Profile||After Infection or Vaccination?||COVID-19 Vaccine Type||Onset (days after vaccine administration/infection)||Location of Lesions||Treatment||Clinical Outcome|
|29-year-old male 2||Vaccination||Tozinameran, 2nd dose||2 days||Right lower leg||Oral prednisolone 30 mg/day (0.3 mg/kg/day)||Gradual improvement with therapy|
|73-year-old female 3||Vaccination||Tozinameran, 2nd dose||14 days|
|Left pretibial region||Infliximab injection, oral prednisone, cyclosporine, biweekly adalimumab injections||Injection reaction to infliximab, unresponsive to all other treatments|
|49-year-old male 7||Vaccination||Tozinameran, 2nd dose||22 days||Upper arm injection site (unspecified laterality)||Topical and systemic corticosteroids (prednisone 1 mg/kg/day)||Resolution after 1 month of therapy|
|27-year-old male 8||Vaccination||Tozinameran, 1st dose||1 day||Right lower leg and upper posterior thigh, left lower leg, perianal region, dorsal right hand||Intravenous prednisone 1 mg/kg/day||Rapid improvement in 3 days, complete resolution in 21 days|
|66-year-old male 6||Infection||Not applicable (N/A)||33 days||Sacral region||Negative-pressure wound therapy (NPWT) x 1 month, pedicled superior gluteal artery perforator flap for wound closure||No post-operative complications, discharged 33 days after surgery|
|52-year-old male 6||Infection||N/A||42 days||Sacral region||NPWT x 6 weeks, pedicled superior gluteal artery perforator flap for wound closure||No post-operative complications|
|71-year-old male 4||Infection||N/A||10 days||Penis, left scrotum, groin, buttocks, and abdomen||Prednisone 60 mg daily, topical corticosteroids, and infliximab for long-term treatment||Prompt improvement with steroid therapy|
|44-year-old female 9||Infection||N/A||∼90 days (after bilateral mastectomy)||Nipple areolar complex of both breasts||Steroids, then infliximab||Clinical improvement on steroids, wound dehiscence after discharge. Steady improvement on infliximab.|
|72-year-old male 10||Infection||N/A||Unspecified||Left scrotum||Prednisone prior to loose wound edge approximation. Cyclosporine and infliximab for post-procedural therapy.||Improved on prednisone, scrotal prolapse requiring loose wound edge approximation. Complete wound healing at 5-months|
|41-year-old male 5||Infection||N/A||Unspecified; 8 days prior to hospital admission|
|Upper back, left trunk, right arm||Intravenous methylprednisolone, topical clobetasol dipropionate 0.05%||Unresponsive to in-hospital therapy, referred to the burn center.|
- 1. Miller J, Yentzer BA, Clark A, Jorizzo JL, Feldman SR. Pyoderma gangrenosum: A review and update on new therapies. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2010;62:646-654.
- 2. Toyama Y, Kamiya K, Maekawa T, Komine M, Ohtsuki M. Pyoderma gangrenosum following vaccination against coronavirus disease‐2019: a case report. Int J Dermatol. 2022;61:905-906.
- 3. Clark AL, Williams B. Recurrence of Pyoderma Gangrenosum Potentially Triggered by COVID-19 Vaccination. Cureus. Published online February 26, 2022. doi:10.7759/cureus.22625
- 4. Syed K, Chaudhary H, Balu B. Pyoderma gangrenosum following COVID-19 infection. J Community Hosp Intern Med Perspect. 2021;11:601-603.
- 5. Adams J, Habenicht D, Gibran Y. COVID-19 infection and treatment-resistant cocaine-induced pyoderma gangrenosum: A case report. Ann Med Surg. 2022;78:103828.
- 6. Elkhatib R, Giunta G, Hanssens V, et al. Case Report of Two Patients With COVID-19 and Sacral Pressure Injuries Associated with Pyoderma Gangrenosum. Adv Skin Wound Care. 2021;Publish Ahead of Print. doi:10.1097/01.ASW.0000744356.54317.c2
- 7. Franceschi J, Darrigade AS, Sanchez‐Pena P, Legrain‐Lifermann V, Milpied B. Pyoderma gangrenosum after mRNA-based SARS-CoV-2 vaccine. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. Published online July 11, 2022:jdv.18389. doi:10.1111/jdv.18389
- 8. Barry M, AlRajhi A, Aljerian K. Pyoderma Gangrenosum Induced by BNT162b2 COVID-19 Vaccine in a Healthy Adult. Vaccines. 2022;10:87.
- 9. Rich MD, Sorenson TJ, Schubert W. Post‐surgical pyoderma gangrenosum in otherwise healthy patient with history of COVID‐19. Breast J. 2021;27:671-674.
- 10. Hasan M, Kim Y, Clark JY. Loose scrotal wound edge approximation in the setting of pyoderma gangrenosum after COVID-19 infection. Urol Case Rep. 2022;42:102017.