“Slugging” is a viral beauty trend on TikTokTM that entails slathering a petrolatum-based ointment on the skin as a last step in your evening skincare routine. Due to its occlusive nature, slugging has a potential risk for harm. Here, we screened top 50 TikTok videos on slugging and analyzed upload source, content, and quality of each video. Overall, 18 (36.7%) videos were deemed educational, discussing risks and/or benefits. By upload source, health care providers (HCPs) created more educational videos (87.5%, P = .009), while online influencers created more patient experience videos (43.3%). This difference was evident when comparing the upload source. DISCERN scores (a validated measure of video's quality as a source of information) differed significantly among HCP, influencers, and others (3, 2, 2, respectively, P = .01). Together, our study demonstrates that compared to influencers and others, HCPs created videos of more high-quality, educational content on slugging.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Dermatology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
Bursztynsky J. TikTok says 1 billion people use the app each month. Available at: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/27/tiktok-reaches-1-billion-monthly-users.html. (Accessed June 1, 2022).
- Accutane check: insights into youth sentiment toward isotretinoin from a TikTok trend.Pediatr Dermatol. 2021; 38: 980-981
- Consulting “Dr. YouTube”: a content analysis of YouTube® videos related to hidradenitis suppurativa treatments.Clin Exp Dermatol. 2022; 47: 606-608
- Overview of TikTok's most viewed dermatologic content and assessment of its reliability.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2021; 85: 273-274
- TikTok and dermatology: an opportunity for public health engagement.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2021; 85: e25-e26
Published online: August 08, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.