Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- What can we learn from previous pandemics to reduce the frequency of emerging infectious diseases like COVID-19?.Glob Transit. 2020; 2: 202-220
- Emergent diseases in emergent countries: we must study viral ecology to prevent new epidemics.Braz J Infect Dis. 2016; 20: 403-404
- Developing vaccines for SARS-CoV-2 and future epidemics and pandemics: applying lessons from past outbreaks.Health Secur. 2020; 18: 241-249
- Comparing SARS-CoV-2 with SARS-CoV and influenza pandemics.Lancet Infect Dis. 2020; 20: e238-e244
World Health Organization. WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 11 March 2020. Available at: https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19—11-march-2020. Accessed March 20, 2020. 2020.
European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. Novel coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic: increased transmission in the EU/EEA and the UK – sixth update. Available at: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/RRA-sixth-update-Outbreak-of-novel-coronavirus-disease-2019-COVID-19.pdf. Accessed March 20, 2020.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) 2019. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html. Accessed March 20, 2020.
Coronavirus Resource Center of the John Hopkins University. Available at: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html. Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Viral exanthems.Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2015; 28: 139-150
- Lessons from dermatology about inflammatory responses in Covid-19.Rev Med Virol. 2020; 30: e2130
- Contemporary infectious exanthems: an update.Future Microbiol. 2017; 12: 171-193
- The SARS, MERS and novel coronavirus (COVID-19) epidemics, the newest and biggest global health threats: what lessons have we learned?.Int J Epidemiol. 2020; 49: 717-726
- COVID-19, SARS and MERS: are they closely related?.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2020; 26: 729-734
- The novel zoonotic COVID-19 pandemic: an expected global health concern.J Infect Dev Ctries. 2020; 14: 254-264
- SARS-CoV, Mers-CoV and COVID-19: what differences from a dermatological viewpoint?.J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2020; 34: e581-e582
- Insight into 2019 novel coronavirus - An updated interim review and lessons from SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV.Int J Infect Dis. 2020; 94: 119-124
- Emerging coronaviruses: genome structure, replication, and pathogenesis.J Med Virol. 2020; 92: 418-423
- The species Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus: classifying 2019-nCoV and naming it SARS-CoV-2.Nat Microbiol. 2020; 5: 536-544
- Genomic characterization of the 2019 novel human-pathogenic coronavirus isolated from a patient with atypical pneumonia after visiting Wuhan.Emerg Microbes Infect. 2020; 9: 221-236
- Pathological findings of COVID-19 associated with acute respiratory distress syndrome.Lancet Respir Med. 2020; 8: 420-422
- A comprehensive literature review on the clinical presentation, and management of the pandemic coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).Cureus. 2020; 12: e7560
- Dysregulation of immune response in patients with Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) in Wuhan, China.Clin Infect Dis. 2020; 71: 762-768
World Health Orgaization, Weekly Epidemiological Update. Available at: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200928-weekly-epi-update.pdf?sfvrsn=9e354665_6. Accessed March 20, 2020.
Matar S, Oulès B, Sohier P, et al. Cutaneous manifestations in SARS-CoV-2 infection (COVID-19): a French experience and a systematic review of the literature [e-pub ahead of print]. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2020; 34:e686-e689. doi: 10.1111/jdv.16775.Epub 2020 Jul 20.:10.1111/jdv.16775.
- Clinical characteristics of coronavirus disease 2019 in China.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 1708-1720
Recalcati S. Cutaneous manifestations in COVID-19: a first perspective [e-pub ahead of print]. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2020; 34:e212-e213. doi: 10.1111/jdv.16387.
Galván Casas C, Català A, Carretero Hernández G, et al. Classification of the cutaneous manifestations of COVID-19: a rapid prospective nationwide consensus study in Spain with 375 cases. Br J Dermatol. 2020 ;183:71-77. :10.1111/bjd.19163.
- COVID-19 and cutaneous manifestations: a systematic review.J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2020; 34 (10.1111/jdv.16778): 2505-2510
- The spectrum of COVID-19-associated dermatologic manifestations: an international registry of 716 patients from 31 countries.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020; 83 (10.1016/j.jaad.2020.06.1016): 1118-1129
- Cutaneous signs in COVID-19 patients: a review.Dermatol Ther. 2020; 33 (10.1111/dth.13549): e13549.doi
- Are the cutaneous manifestations during or due to SARS-CoV-2 infection/COVID-19 frequent or not? Revision of possible pathophysiologic mechanisms.Inflamm Res. 2020; 69: 745-756
- Cutaneous manifestations in patients with COVID-19: a preliminary review of an emerging issue.Br J Dermatol. 2020; 183: 431-442https://doi.org/10.1111/bjd.19264
- Clinical and histopathological features and potential pathological mechanisms of skin lesions in COVID-19: review of the literature.Dermatopathology (Basel). 2020; 7: 3-16
- Cutaneous manifestations and considerations in COVID-19 pandemic: a systematic review.Dermatol Ther. 2020; 33e13986https://doi.org/10.1111/dth.13986
- Hyperinflammatory shock in children during COVID-19 pandemic.Lancet. 2020; 395: 1607-1608
- Special dermatological presentation of paediatric multisystem inflammatory syndrome related to COVID-19: erythema multiforme.BMJ Case Rep. 2020; 13e236986
- An outbreak of severe Kawasaki-like disease at the Italian epicentre of the SARS-CoV-2 epidemic: an observational cohort study.Lancet. 2020; 395: 1771-1778
- Acral cutaneous lesions in the time of COVID-19.J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2020; 34: e346-e347https://doi.org/10.1111/jdv.16533
- Chilblain-like lesions during COVID-19 epidemic: a preliminary study on 63 patients.J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2020; 34: e291-e293https://doi.org/10.1111/jdv.16526
- Chilblains is a common cutaneous finding during the COVID-19 pandemic: a retrospective nationwide study from France.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020; 83: 667-670
- A clinical, histopathological and laboratory study of 19 consecutive Italian paediatric patients with chilblain-like lesions: lights and shadows on the relationship with COVID-19 infection.J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2020; 34: 2620-2629https://doi.org/10.1111/jdv.16682
- Histologic features of long-lasting chilblain-like lesions in a pediatric COVID-19 patient.J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2020; 34: e365-e368https://doi.org/10.1111/jdv.16617
Kolivras A, Dehavay F, Delplace D, et al. Coronavirus (COVID-19) infection-induced chilblains: a case report with histopathologic findings. JAAD Case Rep.2020; 18;6:489-492doi:10.1016/j.jdcr.2020.04.011.
- Tissue distribution of ACE2 protein, the functional receptor for SARS coronavirus.J Pathol. 2004; 203: 631-637
- SARS-CoV-2 endothelial infection causes COVID-19 chilblains: histopathological, immunohistochemical and ultrastructural study of seven paediatric cases.Br J Dermatol. 2020; 183: 729-737
- Assessment of acute acral lesions in a case series of children and adolescents during the COVID-19 pandemic.JAMA Dermatol. 2020; 156: 992-997https://doi.org/10.1001/jamadermatol.2020.2340
- No evidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection by polymerase chain reaction or serology in children with pseudo-chilblain.Br J Dermatol. 2020; 183: 784-785https://doi.org/10.1111/bjd.19349
- Evaluation of Chilblains as a Manifestation of the COVID-19 Pandemic.JAMA Dermatol. 2020; 156: 998-1003https://doi.org/10.1001/jamadermatol.2020.2368
- Are chilblain-like acral skin lesions really indicative of COVID-19? A prospective study and literature review.J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2020; 34: e445-e447https://doi.org/10.1111/jdv.16665
- Thrombotic occlusive vasculopathy in skin biopsy from a livedoid lesion of a COVID-19 patient.Br J Dermatol. 2020; 183: 591-593https://doi.org/10.1111/bjd.19222
- Acro-ischemia in hospitalized COVID-19 patients.J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2020; 34: e455-e457https://doi.org/10.1111/jdv.16592
- Late onset of acral necrosis after SARS-CoV-2 infection resolution.J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2020; 34: e448-e449https://doi.org/10.1111/jdv.16668
- [Acral ischaemia with multiple microthromboses and imminent gangrene in a 73-year-old woman with COVID-19].Ugeskr Laeger. 2020; 182 ([in Danish])V05200379
Caputo V, Schroeder J, Rongioletti F. A generalized purpuric eruption with histopathologic features of leucocytoclastic vasculitis in a patient severely ill with COVID-19. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2020; 34:e579-e581.doi:10.1111/jdv.16737.
- Complement associated microvascular injury and thrombosis in the pathogenesis of severe COVID-19 infection: a report of five cases.Transl Res. 2020; 220: 1-13https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trsl.2020.04.007
- Profile of natural anticoagulant, coagulant factor and anti-phospholipid antibody in critically ill COVID-19 patients.J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2020; 50: 580-586https://doi.org/10.1007/s11239-020-02182-9
- [Clinical and coagulation characteristics of 7 patients with critical COVID-2019 pneumonia and acro-ischemia].Zhonghua Xue Ye Xue Za Zhi. 2020; 41 ([in Chinese]): E006
- Introductory histopathological findings may shed light on COVID-19 paediatric hyperinflammatory shock syndrome.J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2020; 34: e665-e667https://doi.org/10.1111/jdv.16749
- Clinical and histological characterization of vesicular COVID-19 rashes: a prospective study in a tertiary care hospital.Clin Exp Dermatol. 2020; 45: 872-875https://doi.org/10.1111/ced.14277
- Reply to “Clinical and histological characterization of vesicular COVID-19 rashes: a prospective study in a tertiary care hospital”: pseudo herpetic Grover disease seems to appear in patients with COVID-19 infection.Clin Exp Dermatol. 2020; 34: e559-e561https://doi.org/10.1111/ced.14305
Mahé A, Birckel E, Merklen C, et al. Histology of skin lesions establishes that the vesicular rash associated with COVID-19 is not 'varicella-like'. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2020; 34:e559-e561.doi:10.1111/jdv.16706, accessed XX.
Xue X, Mi Z, Wang Z, Pang Z, Liu H, Zhang F. High Expression of ACE2 on keratinocytes reveals skin as a potential target for SARS-CoV-2. J Invest Dermatol. 2021;141: 206-209.e1. doi:10.1016/j.jid.2020.05.087, accessed XX.
- SARS-CoV-2 PCR testing of skin for COVID-19 diagnostics: a case report.Lancet. 2020; : 598-599.https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)31754-2
Santonja C, Heras F, Núñez L, Requena L. COVID-19 chilblain-like lesion: immunohistochemical demonstration of SARS-CoV-2 spike protein in blood vessel endothelium and sweat gland epithelium in a polymerase chain reaction-negative patient. Br J Dermatol. 2021; 93:161-162. :10.1111/bjd.19338.
- Insights from unusual aspects of the 1918 influenza pandemic.Travel Med Infect Dis. 2015; 13: 217-222
- Estimation of potential global pandemic influenza mortality on the basis of vital registry data from the 1918-20 pandemic: a quantitative analysis.Lancet. 2006; 368: 2211-2218
- Dating the emergence of pandemic influenza viruses.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009; 106: 11709-11712
- Genesis and pathogenesis of the 1918 pandemic H1N1 influenza A virus.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014; 111: 8107-8112
- Pathogenic responses among young adults during the 1918 influenza pandemic.Emerg Infect Dis. 2012; 18: 201-207
- Is antigenic sin always “original?” Re-examining the evidence regarding circulation of a human H1 influenza virus immediately prior to the 1918 Spanish Flu.PLoS Pathog. 2015; 11e1004615
- Association between the 2008-09 seasonal influenza vaccine and pandemic H1N1 illness during Spring-Summer 2009: four observational studies from Canada.PLoS Med. 2010; 7e1000258
- Clinical manifestations of pandemic (H1N1) 2009 in the ambulatory setting.J Infect Dev Ctries. 2011; 5: 658-663
- Observations on influenza and its complications.Br Med J. 1919; 1: 3-5
- Influenzo-pneumococcal and influenzo-streptococcal septicaemia: epidemic influenzal pneumonia of highly fatal type and its relation to purulent bronchitis.Lancet. 1919; 193: 1e11
- History of the Great War based on official documents. Medical services. Diseases of the war. 1. His Majesty's Stationary Office, London, UK1922
- The pathology of influenza virus infections.Ann Rev Path. 2008; 3: 499-522
- Pandemic “influenza” and secondary pneumonia at Camp Fremont, Calif.JAMA. 1918; 71: 2138-2144
- Coinfection, coepidemics of COVID-19, and dengue in dengue-endemic countries: a serious health concern.J Med Virol. 2021; : 161-162.https://doi.org/10.1002/jmv.26269
- COVID-19 can present with a rash and be mistaken for dengue.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020; 82: e177
Lokida D, Lukman N, Salim G, et al. Diagnosis of COVID-19 in a dengue-endemic area. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2020; 103:1220-1222:10.4269/ajtmh.20-0676.
- Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura associated with dengue and chikungunya virus coinfection: case report during an epidemic period.Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo. 2018; 60: e48
- Fatal case of chikungunya and concomitant thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura in French Guiana during air flight medical evacuation.J Travel Med. 2017; 24https://doi.org/10.1093/jtm/tax028
- Dengue virus infection triggering thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura in pregnancy.Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2015; 93: 1028-1030
- Manifestações neurológicas de dengue: estudo de 41 casos [Neurological manifestations of dengue: study of 41 cases].Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2005; 63 ([in Portuguese]): 488-493
- Diagnosis and management of dengue.BMJ. 2009; 339: b4338
- Dengue and aplastic anemia—a rare association.Travel Med Infect Dis. 2009; 7: 118-120
- A dengue infection without bleeding manifestation in an adult with immune thrombocytopenic purpura.Trop Med Health. 2016; 44: 36
- Clinical features of 62 imported cases of dengue fever in Japan.Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2006; 75: 470-474
- Cutaneous manifestations in patients of dengue fever.J Pak Assoc Dermatol. 2012; 22: 320-324
- Mucocutaneous manifestations of dengue fever.Indian J Dermatol. 2010; 55: 79-85
- Distinguishing dengue fever from other infections on the basis of simple clinical and laboratory features: application of logistic regression analysis.J Clin Virol. 2006; 35: 147-153
- Dermatological manifestations of dengue fever.J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. 2012; 24: 52-54
- Clinical significance of skin rash in dengue fever: a focus on discomfort, complications, and disease outcome.Asian Pacific J Trop Med. 2016; 9: 713-718
- A florid skin rash in a returning traveller.Clin Exp Dermatol. 2007; 32: 779-781
- Human skin Langerhans cells are targets of dengue virus infection.Nat Med. 2000; 6: 816-820
- Skin histopathology and immunopathology are not of prognostic value in dengue haemorrhagic fever.Br J Dermatol. 2008; 158: 836-837
- Systemic infections mimicking thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.Am J Hematol. 2011; 86: 743-751
- Zika and Chikungunya: emerging arboviruses in the New World.West J Emerg Med. 2016; 17: 671-679
- Infection with chikungunya virus in Italy: an outbreak in a temperate region.Lancet. 2007; 370: 1840-1846
- Prevalence of asymptomatic Zika virus infection: a systematic review.Bull World Health Organ. 2018; 96: 402
Kumar R, Sharma MK, Jain SK, Yadav SK, Singhal AK. Cutaneous manifestations of chikungunya fever: observations from an outbreak at a tertiary care hospital in southeast Rajasthan, India. Indian Dermatol Online J.2017;8:336-342.
- Experience of perinatal and neonatal chikungunya virus (CHIKV) infection in a tertiary care neonatal centre during outbreak in North India in 2016: a case series.J Trop Pediatr. 2019; 65: 169-175
- Chikungunya in infants and children: is pathogenesis increasing?.Viruses. 2019; 11: 294
- [Atypical mucocutaneous manifestations in neonates and infants with chikungunya fever in the municipalities of Cúcuta, Los Patios and Villa del Rosario, Norte de Santander, Colombia, 2014].Biomedica. 2016; 36 ([in Spanish]): 368-377
- Cutaneous manifestations of chikungunya fever: observations made during a recent outbreak in south India.Int J Dermatol. 2008; 47: 154-159
- Resurgence of chikungunya.Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2008; 102: 308-309
- Cutaneous manifestations of chikungunya during a recent epidemic in Clicut, north Kerala, south India.Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol. 2010; 76: 671-676
- Cutaneous manifestations of chikungunya fever.Indian Pediatr. 2012; 49: 51-53
- Unusual facial melanosis in viral fever.Indian J Dermatol. 2007; 52: 116-117
- Immunoglobulin therapy in a patient with severe chikungunya fever and vesiculobullous lesions.Front Immunol. 2019; 10: 1498
- Chikungunya associated with cutaneous ulcerations.Clin Exp Dermatol. 2008; 33: 463-464
- Isolated nail pigmentation associated with chikungunya: a hitherto unreported manifestation.Skin Appendage Disord. 2018; 4: 312-314
- Tropism of the chikungunya virus.Viruses. 2019; 11: 175
- Chikungunya fever presenting as life threatening thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.J Assoc Physicians India. 2017; 11765: 96-100
- The European Zika surveillance Network. Surveillance of Zika virus infection in the EU/EEA, June 2015 to January 2017.Euro Surveill. 2017; 22: 17-00254
- Sexual transmission of Zika virus and other flaviviruses: a living systematic review.PLoS Med. 2018; 15e1002611
- Zika Virus and sexual transmission: a new route of transmission for mosquito-borne Flaviviruses.Yale J Biol Med. 2017; 90: 325-330
- Implication of sexual transmission of Zika on dengue and Zika outbreaks.Math Biosci Eng. 2019; 16: 5092-5113
- Sexual Transmission of Zika virus Expert Meeting participants. Investigating the sexual transmission of Zika virus.Lancet Glob Health. 2018; 6: e24-e25
- Cutaneous manifestations of the Zika virus.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2016; 74: 1286-1287
- Cutaneous manifestations of Zika.J Cutan Med Surg. 2020; 24: 220
- Cutaneous manifestations of Zika in Peru.J Cutan Med Surg. 2020; 24: 33-40
- Cutaneous features of Zika virus infection: a clinicopathological overview.Clin Exp Dermatol. 2019; 44: 13-19
- Cutaneous manifestations of filovirus infections.Int J Dermatol. 2012; 51: 1037-1043
- The next epidemic—lessons from Ebola.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 1381-1384
- The Ebola outbreak, 2013-2016: old lessons for new epidemics.Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2017; 37220160297
- Case fatality rate for Ebola virus disease in west Africa.Lancet. 2014; 384: 1260
- Fruit bats as reservoirs of Ebola virus.Nature. 2005; 438: 575-576
- Cutaneous manifestations of the Ebola virus.Dermatol Online J. 2015; 21 (13030/qt7429f9vf)
- Ebola haemorrhagic fever in Kikwit, Democratic Republic of Congo: clinical observations in 103 patients.J Infect Dis. 1999; 1: S1-S7
- A novel immunohistochemical assay for detection of Ebola virus in skin: implications for diagnosis, spread, and surveillance of Ebola hemorrhagic fever.J Infect Dis. 1999; 179: S36-S47
- COVID-19: a critical care perspective informed by lessons learnt from other viral epidemics.Anaesth Crit Care Pain Med. 2020; 39: 163-166