49-year-old Caucasian man presented with a generalized pruritic eruption of 1-week duration. When seen in early June 1999, he had developed red macules, papules (some with a collarette of scale), plaques, nodules covered with eschars, punched-out ulcers, and other ulcerations covered with an ecthymatous crust on the face, trunk, genitals, thighs, arms, and palms. (Figure 1, Figure 2, Figure 3) The mucous membranes were clear, and there was no adenopathy.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Dermatology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Syphilis maligna praecox.Arch Intern Med. 1967; 119: 411-418
- Early syphilitic hepatitis.Lancet. 1975; 2: 896-899
- Malignant syphilis and hepatitis.Br J Vener Dis. 1974; 50: 237-238
- The liver in secondary syphilis.S Med J. 1982; 75: 1136-1138
- Hepatitis and bone destruction are common manifestations of early syphilis.Arch Dermatol. 1976; 112: 1451-1454
- Malignant syphilis (Lues maligna) and concurrent infection with HIV.Int J Dermatol. 1995; 34: 403-407
- Syphilis maligna.Br J Dermatol. 1991; 125: 390-391
- Noduloulcerative or malignant syphilis occurring in an otherwise healthy woman.Cutis. 1990; 45: 119-122
- Ulcerative secondary syphilis.Int J Dermatol. 1990; 29: 585-586
- The spectrum of syphilis in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection.J Am Acad Dermatol. 1990; 22: 1061-1067
- Malignant syphilis in HIV infected patients.Int J Dermatol. 1990; 29: 575-578
- Ulcerative syphilis in acquired immunodeficiency syndrome.J Am Acad Dermatol. 1989; 21: 1310-1312
- Lues maligna in a patient with human immunodeficiency virus infection.Am J Med. 1988; 85: 425-427
- Ultrastructural features of malignant syphilis and demonstration of Treponema pallidum.Int J Dermatol. 1983; 22: 165-170
- Precocious noduloulcerative cutaneous syphilis.Arch Dermatol. 1975; 111: 76-77
- Malignant syphilis.Arch Dermatol. 1974; 109: 387-389
- Lues maligna.Arch Dermatol. 1969; 99: 70-73
- A case of (and for) syphilis maligna and negative serology.Arch Dermatol. 1969; 100: 122-124
- Malignant syphilis.Am J Syphilol. 1930; 14: 1-34
- Syphilis maligna praecox.Br J Vener Dis. 1972; 48: 194-199
- Some points on malignant syphilis.Urol Cutan Rev. 1917; 21: 579-580
© 2002 Elsevier Science Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.